Moong Dal Halwa
Drool-worthy Moong Dal ka Halwa, from the state of Rajasthan, is a must-have winter delight! A favorite Indian sweet made with yellow lentils, milk, sugar and, nuts – it tastes divine. And what could be better than a homemade Moong Dal ka Halwa?
It’s a fairly simple recipe, only that it requires continuous stirring to avoid any burning or formation of lumps.
Serves 5 - 6
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds for garnish
- Wash yellow Moong Dal and soak it for approx. 4 hours. Drain it.
- Blend till it is a smooth puree.
- Mix milk and sugar together in a pan and bring to a boil over medium heat on your SUNSHINE gas stove.
- Add saffron and cardamom after turning off the heat. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, add ghee. Add the moong dal puree.
- Stir continuously on medium heat, till it is cooked properly and light brown color is obtained (approx 30 mins). Press and fold the paste repeatedly. Do this till the paste becomes grainy.
- Add the milk mixture from above slowly to the pan with the dal.
- Cover and cook well till it thickens and attains a rich texture.
- Garnish with almonds. Serve warm.