Turnips in Coconut and Mustard Seed Curry
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound tender turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat and cook the mustard seeds until crackling, about 2 minutes.
Add the garlic, onion and chilli and cook until onions turn golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin, coriander and tomato and cook until thick. Add the turnips, coconut, turmeric and salt and mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
Add 1 cup of water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the turnips are cooked, about 20-25 minutes. Increase the heat until any remaining water is absorbed. Dill can be added as a garnish.